If you are bored, here are some good books to read. All
should be available at any good bookstore, can be checked out of the CSUN library, or are
available through one of the online bookseller such as amazon.com.
- Paul Johnson, Modern Times. A general history of the world from Freud to the
- Paul Johnson, The Birth of the Modern, World Society 1815-1830. A depiction of
life on the eve of the Industrial Revolution.
- Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
- Milton Friedman, Capitalism and Freedom
- Nathan Rosenberg and L.E. Birdzell Jr., How the West Grew Rich
- Robert Higgs, Crisis and Leviathan. An economic historians account of the growth
of government in the United States.
- Robert K. Massie¸ Dreadnought, Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War.
A political history of Europe prior to WWI.
- William H. McNeil, Plagues and Peoples. Delineates the role of infectious
disease in western history.
- David Halberstm, The Best and the Brightest. An account of how the U.S. got
enmeshed in the Vietnam War.
- David Halberstam, The Reckoning. A history by a Pulitzer Prize Winning journalist
of the rise of Nissan and the fall of Ford and General Motors in the 1970's.
- Steven Landsberg, The Armchair Economist.